Dawei is the capital city of Tanintharyi region. About 620km away from Yangon, it can be reached by 12 hours of straight driving. Dawei is known for Myanmar people for its 9 pagodas “Shin Koe Shin”. Recently due to infrastructure developments, some new beaches are accessible and people found out that these beaches are virgin and even the locals never been there before. Now there is a regular tour program from Yangon to visit nine famous pagodas or day trip beach hopping by speedboat or Motorcycle.
From Yangon to Dawei
By Air – Myanmar National Airline operates with 120USD per way. Other airlines that operate service to Dawei are Yangon Airways, Asian Wings Airways, Air KBZ, Golden Myanmar Airlines, Mann Yadanarpon Airlines, Apex Airlines & FMI Air. To go to respective airline websites, please use the link – Local Airlines in Myanmar
By Train – By using train No. 175Up, it leaves Yangon at 18:25 and arrives to Dawei on the next day at 19:00.
From Dawei to Yangon, use the train No. 176Dn which leave Dawei at 05:40 and arrive to Yangon at 6:20 on the next day.
Ticket price (Yangon<->Dawei) one way –
- Upper class – 10150MMK
- First class – 6350MMK
- Ordinary class – 5100MMK
By Bus – Night sleep bus will cost around 10USD per way. Mandalar Min Express, Moe Kaung Kin Express.
There are many untouched beaches stretched along the Dawei Promontory. Some can reach by car, some can reach by Motorcycle. A motorcycle can hire from a price range of less than 10,000MMK (7USD) per day. Speed boat tour for visiting 3 or 4 beaches day trip per day can arrange at local tour agency for less than 50USD per person.
- Maungmagan beach – In the old days, this is the only beach Myanmar people know in Dawei. Local people frequently go there for holidays. Long shallow beach is very safe, even for children. A most crowded beach in Dawei so prepares to see some litters around hotels.
- Pa Nyit Beach – Speedboat tour often stop for seeing the sunset. Can access by Motorcycle. Day trip and rest at the beach is unforgettable. Like you own that beach.
- Zat Sar Aw beach – Only accessible by Motorcycle, so the cleanliness of the beach is unquestionable. There are Myanmar Paradise Beach Bungalows for night sleep. Can experience bioluminescence sea plankton at night, they glow while swimming around them.
- Tizit beach – Great kayaking area for locals. Very clean and green. Better go by speedboat.
- Sin Htauk beach – the best beach near Dawei but only accessible by speedboat. If you want to go with Motorcycle, be prepared to walk for 20 minutes to reach that beach.
- Grandfather beach – Known to locals as “Boe Boe Kyauk” beach. Day visit only. Can access by offload car. Small eatery huts on the entry point. Long white sand beach with a good wave, very safe for swimming.
- Horseshoe beach – Local call as Myin Khwar Aw beach. On the way to Shin Maw Pagoda. The great horseshoe shape clean beach with some littering beside the road. Just step over some rubbish if found and annoy you, the beach is refreshing.
- Pazin Kyun – An island which has good snorkeling site.
This is Myanmar. Let’s go to pagodas. As per the custom of Myanmar, every town has its own famous pagoda. In Dawei, there are nine famous pagodas where Myanmar people visit. By adding Myaw Yit pagoda to Shin Koe Shin, there are more than nine. Lets count
- 1) Shin Pin Kha Yu Pagoda
- 2) Shin Mote Htee pagoda
- 3) Shin Taunkpone pagoda
- 4) Shin Maw pagoda
- 5) Shin Tauk Htein pagoda
- 6) Shin Oak Aww pagoda
- 7) Shin Za Lon pagoda
- 8) Shin Dat Wae pagoda
- 9) Shin San Taw pagoda.
Myaw Yit pagoda is a must visit, a place with a lot of scenery on the way.