Mawlamyine is the capital of Mon State. Mon is one of the 135 races in Myanmar. 320km from Yangon, it is just 6 hours drive away. Kyaik Than Lan Pagoda, built in AD 875, is the place where Rudyard Kipling wrote his famous poem. As the 1st capital of the British colony in Myanmar, it has many buildings with colonial style architecture.
By Air – currently, Feb2019, one flight per week from Yangon to Mawlamyine on Monday. The flight to Mawlamyine departs Yangon in the morning at 9:45 am and arrives at 10:25 am. The return flight from Mawlamyine to Yangon departs 3:15 pm and arrives at Yangon 3:55 pm. The same aircraft that flies from Yangon to Mawlamyine continues on to Kawthaung before returning in the opposite direction, so it’s also possible to fly from Mawlamyine to Kawthaung. 101USD per way.
By Train – Daily express train from Yangon to Mawlamyine are
- Train No. 35Up depart Yangon at 21:00 and arrive Mawlamyine at 06:00 the next day.
- Train No. 89Up depart Yangon at 07:15 and arrive Mawlamyine at 16:50 on the same day.
- Train No.175Up depart Yangon at 18:25 and arrive Mawlamyine on the next day at early morning 04:00. This is the train to Dawei which stops at Mawlamyine for 30mins only.
The daily express train from Mawlamyine to Yangon are
- Train No.36Down depart Mawlamyine on 19:30 and arrive Yangon at 04:20 on the next day.
- Train No.90Down depart Mawlamyine on 08:00 and arrive on the same day on 17:30.
- Train No.176Down, this is the train from Dawei which stops at Mawlamyine for 30mins, it leaves Mawlamyine on 20:55 and arrives Yangon on the next day at 06:20.
Other train services related to Mawlamyine are
By Bus – Many buses with different time schedule operated daily. 4-8USD depend on type of bus. 6 hours ride.
Kyeik Than Lan Pagoda – On the hill overseeing the city. Great sunset view.
Mahamyatmuni Pagoda – Very close to Kyeik Than Lan Pagoda.
Kyaikkhami Pagoda, Sat Sae beach, Death Railway Museum, and Thanbyuzayat World War II Cemetery.